WXXI Job Openings
POSITION: News & Public Affairs Director
DIVISION: Radio and Television - Center for Public Affairs
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time, Exempt
REPORTS TO: Vice President for Radio, Vice President for Television
The News & Public Affairs Director is responsible for the strategic direction and overall management of the WXXI Center for Public Affairs. In addition to overseeing daily assignments and content decisions on all distribution platforms, the Director uses community ascertainment and audience research to develop long-term goals for the Center for News and Public Affairs, seeks funding for the ongoing work of the Center and assists the Television and Radio Vice Presidents in providing the highest level of information service and listener/viewer engagement across all WXXI media, including television, radio, internet streams, social media, online services and multicast channels.
- Supervise all content and operations of the WXXI Center for Public Affairs, including news coverage, call-in and talk shows, news specials, election coverage, documentaries and issues reporting.
- Coordinate strategic direction on the content and guest selection for all public affairs programming.
- Coordinate promotion of News, Information and Public Affairs coverage with WXXI Creative Services and WXXI Online, to build audience and increase listener loyalty.
- Seek funding for special projects and ongoing coverage.
- Work collaboratively with external and internal partners on special projects such as election coverage and produce related programming.
- Participate in membership drives and other WXXI fundraising and events as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent
- 2 years broadcast news management experience
- Ability to work a deadline environment that requires great attention to detail. Strong organizational interpersonal skills.
- Experience in audio and video production, networked computer programming, Internet, on-demand and new media.
- Thorough knowledge of federal broadcast regulations and standards
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and audio and video samples, including air checks, to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to WXXI Human Resources, 280 State Street, Rochester, NY 14614.