WXXI Job Openings
Position: Operations Technician
Division: Technology and Operations
Reports To: Director of Engineering & Operations
Status: Full-time, Non Exempt, 40 hours per week
Work Schedule: 40 hours per week, schedule 24/7 and varies according to department needs.
- Operations Technician will participate as a member of the WXXI Television Operations team ensuring television productions of the highest quality by serving as a skilled crewmember in the WXXI operations center.
- Operate on-air automation system and its associated archive management processes.
- Provide operations support for WXXI Productions. Assist with the testing and implementation of new operational technologies.
- Monitor WXXI broadcast facilities and fill-out the Station Logs for all transmitters operated by WXXI as required by the Federal Communications Commission. Take the appropriate action when a deficiency is noted.
- When assigned, work individually or with a team to produce content for television, radio, web, and future media.
- Assist with using advanced multimedia technologies to produce and deliver interactive and educational elements for WXXI programs.
- Responsible for maintaining the high quality of the WXXI signals, including over-the-air television, cable television, analog radio and HD radio broadcasts.
- Follow the Standard Operating Procedures and fill-out a Shift Report for each shift worked.
- Provide support to producers and staff throughout all stages of project development.
- Work with fellow Operations Technicians to insure the proper program material is available when needed.
- Take corrective actions in the case of serious problems or loss of on air signal. Follow established procedures to notify the proper personnel.
- Coordinate with Programming and Traffic departments and network sources as necessary when changes, corrections and questions arise regarding the program logs or on-air operations.
- Follow-up and resolve operating discrepancies and effectively communicate equipment malfunctions to the Director of Engineering & Operations and Maintenance Supervisor.
- Work as an operator in various positions during WXXI productions.
- Assist with the development and implementation of Standard Operating Procedures.
- Other duties as required by the Director of Engineering & Operations.
EDUCATION REQUIRED: High School, Bachelors degree in related field preferred.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Minimum 1 year full‑time or 4 years part-time/casual position in a television broadcast station. Experience in Master Control operation, knowledge of automation, editing on Avid or Pinnacle Liquid systems, video and audio digitization and multimedia is preferred.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Ability to work nights, weekend and holidays.
EQUIPMENT SKILLS: Able to operate all equipment related to WXXI Master Control and television production; Knowledge of the Internet, media and technology as it pertains to WXXI Master Control and TV production; Advanced computer skills.