WXXI Job Openings
POSITION: Web Designer
POSITION: Web Designer
DIVISION: Creative Services
REPORTS TO: Creative Director
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, exempt
DATE: February 2013
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
Reporting to the Creative Director, and functionally to the Director of Interactive Services, the web designer will design, produce and update various station web pages, develop and refine the main WXXI site, and contribute to the overall Web Communications strategy and special projects. Additionally, this individual will have a solid design foundation to be called upon to do some print layout, video graphics, logo design and interact with the WXXI brand through various disciplines. This individual will have a strong design aesthetic and the technical skills to implement these designs and enrich the experience of anyone visiting WXXI.org on both desktop and mobile devices.
- Create design prototypes, including graphic design, site navigation, and layout of content, for upcoming programs and productions as well as designing pages for departments, events, and personalities and maintain the design aesthetic for the main WXXI web site.
- Ensure that the layout of the content is accessible, logical and usable; and recommend improvements.
- Create visual concepts that match the content and the image wanted by the departments and producers, yet fit in the station’s global image; ensure that sites are easy to navigate.
- Build web pages and site themes in Drupal using technologies that conform to international standards, are universally accessible, translate well to mobile devices, and are easy to maintain and update.
- Support the design and implementation needs of other content management systems as needed for public media sites.
- Perform maintenance and updates to existing web pages, as necessary.
- Design marketing and promotional graphics and materials including miscellaneous print pieces and occasional on-air graphics.
- Contribute to the overall WXXI brand development, help execute and support the WXXI Creative and Promotional strategy and take a personal ownership of the WXXI web site look and feel.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in new media, multimedia development, communications or other discipline related to the primary responsibilities, and two to four years of experience in web design, of which a minimum of one year producing table-less, XHTML, standards-compliant, cross browser, and gracefully-degrading code.
- A minimum of two years experience with the Drupal content management system including theme design, and features such as panels, contexts, views, fields etc.
- Knowledge of and ability to implement alternatives to Adobe Flash such as HTML5 that enable full functionality of interactive designs on mobile devices.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with Dynamic HTML, XHTML, CSS, PHP and of digital imaging with Adobe Photoshop, Fireworks, InDesign and Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience with cross-browser and cross-platform issues (IE, Firefox, Safari, Chrome etc.) including extensive experience working on both Mac and PC platforms.
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team. Possess strong organizational, process, project and time management skills. Be able to manage multiple, time-sensitive projects with attention to detail and communication with individuals.
- Formal training in desktop publishing applications (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) and photography are definite assets.
- Demonstrated superior knowledge of current web design trends and techniques (including Responsive Web Design), through a strong online portfolio displaying user-centered design and required multimedia and design skills, and experience with web database solutions definite assets.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to create and work from written project spec for client departments
- Available portfolio of projects that demonstrate desired skill set and ability to demonstrate required skills based on a verbal and written specification.