For Immediate Release
WXXI COMMEMORATES THE TENTH ANNIVERSARY OF 9/11 WITH SPECIAL PROGRAMMING
Rochester, New York (September 7, 2011) – WXXI honors the tenth anniversary of 9/11 with special programming on WXXI-TV/HD, AM 1370 and Classical 91.5 leading up to and continuing beyond Sunday, September 11. Programs in news and public affairs, science, and the performing arts are scheduled as part of the remembrance.
Need to Know Rochester presents a special 9/11 edition on Friday, September 9 at 8:30 p.m. on WXXI-TV/HD (DT21.1/cable 1011 and 11). The program features an interview with local resident Tom Roger, whose daughter was a flight attendant on the first plane to hit the World Trade Center. He is a board member of the National September 11 Memorial & Museum, and was instrumental in bringing September 11, 2001: A Global Moment exhibit to the Rochester Museum & Science Center this month. Need to Know Rochester also talks to area residents about how their lives have been changed by the tragedy. The program will repeat on Sunday, September 11 at 12:30 p.m. on WXXI-TV/HD.
Additional programs, airing on the anniversary date of Sunday, September 11 include:
· New York Philharmonic Orchestra’s 9/11 Remembrance, featuring John Adams' On the Transmigration of Souls and Brahms' German Requiem, airs at 3 p.m. on Classical 91.5/FM-HD 91.5-1.
· Rochester Remembers 9/11, airing at 6 p.m. on AM 1370/FM-HD 91.5-2, co-hosted by WXXI’s Bob Smith and Brenda Tremblay, includes interviews with area leaders and ordinary citizens, intertwined with classical music for moments of contemplation. This program also airs Friday, September 9 at 12 noon on AM 1370.
· We Remember: StoryCorps Stories from 9/11 airs at 7 p.m. on AM 1370/FM-HD 91.5-2. NPR's Audie Cornish hosts this intimate look at lives forever changed by the attacks on 9/11. Produced in partnership with StoryCorps and the National September 11 Memorial & Museum.
· America Remembers 9/11, a PBS NewsHour special airing at 8 p.m. on WXXI-TV/HD, examines the significance of the day in many different communities across the nation.~ The program also includes several pieces of a “video quilt” that PBS stations, including WXXI, were invited to produce for possible inclusion.
· Great Performances “The New York Philharmonic 10th Anniversary Concert from 9/11” follows America Remembers 9/11 at 9 p.m. on WXXI-TV/HD. Conductor Alan Gilbert, soprano Dorothea Röschmann, mezzo-soprano Michelle DeYoung, and the New York Choral Artists perform Gustav Mahler’s Symphony No. 2, Resurrection.
A complete list of programs and airdates can be found at: WXXI.org/remembering911.
Press Release Index