For Immediate Release
Contact: Kristin Tutino, WXXI, (585) 258-0253
WXXI NAMES 12 YOUNG AUTHORS AS LOCAL WINNERS OF THE PBS KIDS GO! WRITERS CONTEST
Local Winners Advance to National Finals
(Rochester, New York) May 21, 2012 – WXXI has selected 12 local winners of the PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest, which encourages children in grades K-3 in communities across the country to celebrate the power of writing and illustrating by submitting their own original storybooks. The local winners were chosen by a panel of judges from WXXI’s Education Advisory Board.
WXXI was one of 63 public television stations participating in this year’s Contest, which was designed to promote the advancement of children’s reading skills through hands-on, active learning. More than 200 local children submitted stories to the PBS Kids GO! Writers Contest, and all received a WXXI Certificate of Achievement. WXXI’s first place winning submissions will advance to the national competition, where a panel of renowned judges will identify the national winners. Winners will be announced and national prizes, including tablet computers, e-readers, and MP3 players, will be awarded in July 2012.
This year’s WXXI winners created stories featuring tales of adventurous children, animals, princesses and mermaids.
- Isaiah Green – Caledonia, NY – “The Lost Cat – A True Story”
- Karen Heffron – Clifton Springs, NY – “Princess Karen and the Very Nice Prince Billy”
- Olivia Miles – Clifton Springs, NY – “Princess Crystal”
- Raymond Warth – Rochester, NY – “Mr. Big Head”
- Hannah Gruner – Webster, NY – “Me in a Mermaid Tale”
- Samantha Picciotti – Honeoye Falls, NY – “Practice Makes Perfect!!”
- Lucia Sprague – LeRoy, NY – “The Turtle and the Toad”
- Kylee Camacho – Newark, NY – “Nick and Kylee’s Adventure”
- Aaron Rouse – Newark, NY – “The Sad Rainbow”
- Catherine Reeder – Pittsford, NY – “The Reading Horse”
- Gisela Allen – Brockport, NY – “Canoeing”
- Faith Hinman – Brockport, NY – “The Crime”
To see the winning entries and read the stories, visit: WXXI.org/kids/writers.
PBS Kids Writers Contest
The PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest is produced annually by PBS KIDS and managed and created by WNED-TV Buffalo/Toronto, and is a part of PBS KIDS Raising Readers, a national initiative that uses the power of public media to build the reading skills of children ages two to eight. More information on PBS KIDS Raising Readers and the PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest can be found at pbskids.org/read
About PBS KIDS and PBS KIDS GO!
PBS KIDS GO! offers early elementary children the opportunity to explore new ideas and new worlds through television, online and community-based programs. For more information on specific PBS KIDS GO! content supporting literacy, science, math and more, visit PBS.org/pressroom, join our community online on Twitter and Facebook, or visit PBSKIDSGO.org.
WXXI is the essential, life-long educational media resource for the Greater Rochester area. WXXI puts the community first with programming that stimulates and expands thought, inspires the spirit, opens cultural horizons and promotes understanding of diverse community issues. Log on to wxxi.org for more information about our services and programs.