Monday, May 31 at 12 p.m. – Spiritual Reflection from Combat: The Bill Schiebler Story
(Rochester, NY) – Bill Schiebler, 24, was a first lieutenant sent to fight in the central highlands of Viet Nam with the First Air Cavalry Division. After 5 months of ferocious combat, Schiebler was one of just four soldiers left from the 186 men who were part of his original rifle company. Schiebler was wounded over 10 times, receiving the Bronze Star for Valor and 4 purple hearts. In Spiritual Reflection from Combat, Schiebler recalls:
- Risking his life calming down a soldier in his platoon who went berserk shooting up the tent
- Rescuing a fellow officer stranded behind enemy lines
- Carrying an enemy soldier on his back miles to camp - who surprisingly becomes an important intelligence source
- Adding a rebellious black soldier to his platoon who becomes a hero to Schiebler and his men - ultimately transforming his attitude towards race relations
- Facing friendly fire as he's forced to return to base camp at night to save his men
- Struggling with flashbacks ultimately leading to a healing experience of forgiveness
Spiritual Reflection from Combat airs Monday, May 31 at 12 p.m. on AM 1370/FM-HD 91.5-2.
WXXI is the essential, life-long educational
media resource for the Greater Rochester area. WXXI
puts the community first with programming that stimulates
and expands thought, inspires the spirit, opens cultural
horizons and promotes understanding of diverse community
issues. Log on to wxxi.org for more information about
our services and programs.