March 9 at 8 p.m. – André Rieu: Radio City Music Hall, Live In New York
(Rochester, NY)– For the last decade, internationally renowned violinist André Rieu has enchanted PBS audiences with concert specials from Dublin to Tuscany to his Dutch hometown of Maastricht. In André Rieu: Radio City Music Hall, Live In New York, airing Monday, March 9 at 8 p.m. on WXXI-TV 21 (cable 11) and WXXI-HD (cable 1011 and DT 21.1), Rieu and his special musical guests perform for a sold-out crowd at the famed Radio City Music Hall in New York City.
André Rieu is coming to Syracuse! During the television special, you’ll be able to call into WXXI at (585) 454-6300 or 1-800-295-WXXI, make a donation, and as a thank you gift – receive tickets to this concert at the War Memorial Arena at Oncenter on April 20, 2009. You may also pledge online at WXXI.org/support/membership.
Recorded in July 2006, the concert features 21 selections, ranging from songs popularized in films and musicals to more traditional and classical pieces, performed by Rieu and his special guests: the Harlem Gospel Choir, Johann Strauss Orchestra, and Rieu’s vocal choir. Rieu’s Radio City Music Hall concert also marks the return of five-year-old violinist Akim Camara, who originally delighted Rieu fans at age three when he played his very little violin in a previous special.
In Radio City Music Hall, which Rieu considers very special to him and his orchestra, he pays tribute to Frank Sinatra in a moving rendition of My Way. Other music included in André Rieu: Radio City Music Hall, Live In New York:
• Seventy-Six Trombones from Meredith Willson’s The Music Man
• The Life of Artists by Johann Strauss
• Blaze Away by A. Holzmann and J. Kennedy
• Dance of the Fairies by E. Jenkinson, featuring Akim Camara on violin
• Godfather Waltz by N. Rota, theme from the Academy Award-winning film The Godfather
• Yackety Sax by R. Randolph, theme from The Benny Hill Show
• Amen Traditional, featuring the Harlem Gospel Choir
• I Will Follow Him by F.M.L. Pourcel and P. Mauriat
• Nuns' Chorus from Johann Strauss’ Casanova
• Singin’ in the Rain by N.H. Brown, from Singin’ in the Rain
• The Washington Post by J.P. Sousa
• Oh Happy Day by E.R. Hawkins, featuring the Harlem Gospel Choir
• The Music of the Night from Andrew Lloyd Webber’s The Phantom of the Opera
• Don’t Cry for Me, Argentina from Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Evita
• Hallelujah by G.F. Handel, featuring the Harlem Gospel Choir
• Radetzky Marsch by Johann Strauss
• A Bright Young Man Medley
• When the Saints Go Marching In Traditional, featuring the Harlem Gospel Choir
• America the Beautiful by S.A. Ward
• The Stars and Stripes Forever by J.P. Sousa
For more information, visit www.andrerieu.com.
Pictured: André Rieu onstage at Radio City Music Hall.
Credit: Gregor Ramaekers
WXXI is the essential, life-long educational
media resource for the Greater Rochester area. WXXI
puts the community first with programming that stimulates
and expands thought, inspires the spirit, opens cultural
horizons and promotes understanding of diverse community
issues. Log on to wxxi.org for more information about
our services and programs.