NY) The history of our church began with the
Pullman family who moved to Albion, NY from Chautauqua County, NY in 1845. James Lewis Pullman and Emily Caroline Pullman had ten
children of which George M. Pullman (1831-1897) was the third. James
Lewis Pullman was a ‘cabinetmaker’ or builder of fine furniture.
George worked some in his father’s business, but decided to go to
Chicago where he gained a reputation for moving buildings. After
saving his money, he bought the patent for a railroad sleeper car
design and produced his first car in 1858. From this small
beginnings he became an industrial magnate and his name became
synonymous with first class railroad travel.