St. Luke and St. Simon Cyrene
It is the oldest public building still in use.
St. Luke was consecrated on February 20, 1821 on what is now
Fitzhugh and Broad Streets. The first church, a wooden structure,
was quickly outgrown with the existing church being built in 1824.
It is a Gothic design with stone from Auburn. Today the parish is
the story of two histories. In the 1980s St. Luke and St. Simon
Cyrrene merged to form one community.